Sunday, September 23, 2007

Getting a JOB

Several of these articles caught my interest. One especially because of the field that I am studying right now: Ability to pull an all-nighter can be as useful as a B.A. If this were true...show me where to sign! In my major, Architecture, all-nighters are as common as eating the wind blowing. Every semester, we are required to complete tasks that push you to the limit. Some tasks, being harder than others, take longer and require the student to stay up later. There are just not enough hours in the day. I thought that this article was interesting because of the fact that employers like the idea of people that can pull all-nighters can work under pressure and under tight schedules. Some projects are just not feasible in a day or two. Sometimes it might be the pure lack of time management, but others are just not fixable.

Another article that caught my attention was: These Interview Bloopers Could Cost You the Job. A lot of these points didn't really surprise me, but I thought they were interesting in the task of what NOT to do. There were five points that this article elaborated on and gave advice of what not to do.

1. Dressing Unprofessionally
2. Arriving Unprepared
3. Discussing Compensation Too Soon
4. Acting Desperate
5. Appearing Too Nervous

Some of these topics, like appearing too nervous, are hard to control. Some people are just prone to nervousness.

I thought several of these topics to be useful and helpful. Hopefully, with practice and learning the strides of interviewers, I will be successful in getting a career in what I want.

No comments: